Steps for Migrating to a New Web Hosting Provider
Many people choose to move from their existing hosting provider to a new web host. However, before you do move your website, please follow the steps below to make your transition as easy as possible:
- Make copies and archives of your entire website. Confirm that all content, pages, programs, and databases have been properly backed up.
- Insure that your website data and content is stored and archived in its original directory structure.
- Make sure that your new web hosting plan is equal to or better than your current web hosting provider. Storage, operating system, bandwidth, control panel, scripting and database tools are factors to consider.
- Upload and test your website to make sure the site and email are working correctly. If you have uploaded it in the same directory structure as your previous web host, the site should work properly.
- After your site is tested and debugged, transfer your domain name servers (DNS) from your old provider to your new web hosting provider. This may take anywhere from a few hours to a few days for your DNS to fully switch over.
- Keep you your old web hosting plan for 1-2 weeks after the migration. If you have any problems, you can always refer back to the old website for help.